American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card Review
Just like all American Express business cards, this card comes with a number of benefits that can help your business save money.
In addition, you’ll have the chance to build business credit, control employee spending, and make purchases even when sales are slow or you’re short on cash.
About the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card
Compared to other business credit cards, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card offers a simple reward structure. You’ll earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 in purchases per year. Once you reach the $50,000 spending cap, you’ll earn 1% cash back.
This card is a solid pick if you don’t want to monitor spending categories. Once you earn your cash back, it’ll be automatically credited to your statement.
If you have to spend more than your credit limit because you have one or a number of large purchases to make, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card won’t penalize you. It offers Expanded Buying Power, which can give you the chance to spend beyond your credit limit and take care of the difference the following month.
While there is a 0% intro APR for 12 months for purchases and balance transfers, your interest rate will increase to 14.74%, 17.74%, or 20.74% after this time period, based on your creditworthiness and a number of other factors. To apply for this card, you’ll need the following:
- A legal business name, address, and income details
- Federal tax ID number
- Your name, address, and income details
- Your date of birth and Social Security number
- Good or excellent credit score of 670 or higher
Although you may be able to earn more with other business cash back credit cards, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card’s automatic redemption and the fact that you may be able to spend your credit limit makes it worth considering.
Benefits and Rewards with American Express Blue Business Cash
While the 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per year plus 1% is the most noteworthy benefit of the American Express Blue Business Card, there are several other perks such as:
- Expanded buying power: Expanded buying power allows you to spend over your limit without penalty and repay the difference with the next month. This is a significant benefit if you have a particularly large purchase to make.
- Travel benefits: As long as you use the card to pay for airfare, you’ll enjoy complimentary car rental and travel accident insurance of up to $100,000.
Pros and Cons
Before signing up for the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card, it’s a good idea to weigh the pros and cons. This way, you’ll know how you can benefit from this card and where it may fall short.
Pros of the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card
- No annual fee: Some business cards charge annual fees that can be several hundred dollars per year. Fortunately, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card has no annual fee so you can reap its benefits without any type of financial commitment.
- 0% intro APR: The American Express Blue Business Cash Card comes with an intro APR of 0% for 12 months on both purchases and balance transfers. This is great news as it can give you the chance to pay off large expenses without incurring interest.
- Purchase protection: As a cardholder of the American Express Blue Business Cash Card, you’ll enjoy the peace of mind of purchase protection from damage or theft up to 90 days.
Cons of the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card
- No introductory bonus: While the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card reward rates are generous, it doesn’t offer an introductory bonus. This may prevent you from earning a large amount of cash back in a short time frame.
- Cap on rewards: With this card, you’re only permitted to earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. If you think your business will spend more than an average of $4,167 per month, a business card with no cap may make more sense.
- Foreign transaction fee: Since there’s a 2.7 foreign transaction fee, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card may be costly if you frequently make business purchases abroad.
Alternative Small Business Credit Cards
If the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card doesn’t meet all your business needs, consider these alternative options.
- Discover It Business Card: With the Discover It Business Card, you can earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases so this may be a great choice if your business spends more than $50,000 annually.
- Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express: This card is similar to the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card but earns points instead of cash back. If you travel often and want to redeem credit card points for vacations, the Blue Business Plus Card may be the right option for you.
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: If you spend a lot on travel, the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card may be a good fit. While you’ll have to pay a $95 annual fee, you can enjoy perks like 3x points per dollar on travel expenses and select business spending categories.
If you’re looking for a simple cash back rewards card, the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card is a good option. Receiving 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then an additional 1% is a generous offer, especially for a business credit card with no annual fee.
However, if you think you’ll spend more than $50,000 per year on business expenses, there are other business credit cards without spending caps that you may find more valuable. In addition, you may want to choose a different credit card if you travel abroad often for business and prefer travel perks over cash back rewards.
Interested in learning more about business credit cards? At Fora Financial, we provide high-quality reviews to help business owners make informed decisions. Sign up for our
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a cash back cap on the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card?
Yes. The American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card comes with a cap of $50,000 per calendar year.
What will happen if I exceed my limit?
Thanks to the card’s Extended Buying Power program, you can exceed your credit limit without penalty by an amount that is determined by your creditworthiness and payment history.
How can I track my employee’s expenses with the American Express Blue Business Cash Credit Card?
You can use the American Express Spend Manager app to manage your expenses and flag transactions. You can also keep track of expenses by integrating with your current QuickBooks account.
What will I need to do to redeem my rewards?
Nothing! You’ll get automatic statement credits and won’t have to remember to redeem your rewards.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.