SBA events – while they will take you out of the office – do present real benefits for small business owners. In this post, we’ll share the five reasons that you should select and attend SBA events that are relevant to you and your business.
Why You Should Attend SBA Events as a Small Business Owner:
1. Hear from industry and subject matter expertsAs a small business owner with limited resources, there’s only so much you can possibly know. Although self-starters tend to tackle things on their own, learning to leverage the knowledge of specialists is vital. Business development courses and seminars present valuable insights on a wide range of topics including tax issues, marketing strategies and financial plans, to name a few. And because many of these courses feature experts with real-world experience, you get timely, relevant information that you can’t find in textbooks. One recent event by the Small Business Administration was a webinar that featured a CPA who talked about tax issues for small businesses. The webinar was offered for free and attendees got to hear advice from a fully-qualified CPA. It was high-quality advice which they’d otherwise have to pay for.
2. Helps you look before you leapIf you’re looking to start a business, or are trying to expand an existing business, you’ll need to leverage every resource you have to educate yourself. Events like webinars or SBA events can give you a sneak peek into a line of business before you invest time and money. Examples of some recent business events (and their descriptions) sponsored by SBA.gov include:
- Doing Business with Genentech: learn from a Genentech presenter about opportunities to sell goods and services to Genentech.
- Funding Sources: webinar presented by industry experts about finance sources for entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Exploring Business Ownership: the SBA educates prospective business owners about the basics of starting a small business.