The Pros and Cons of SBA Express Loans
Due to this, the SBA offers a variety of loan programs, including Loans. These programs are designed specifically for businesses that are struggling to secure traditional business loans.
SBA Express Loans are a great resource, however, they come with some drawbacks. In this post, we’ll outline how this program works, and will review the pros and cons of receiving an SBA Express Loan.
SBA Express Loan Program Basics
It can take weeks or even months to be approved for some SBA loans, such as the7(a) Loan. In comparison, you could be approved in as little as 72 hours for an SBA Express Loan.
It’s important to note that Express Loans aren’t offered directly by the SBA. Instead, you’ll work with an approved lender and the SBA will guarantee a portion of the loan. Should you default, the government will pay the lender the guaranteed amount. This lowers risks for lenders, allowing them to lend to higher risk borrowers. Lenders will use their own procedures and processes for evaluating and approving or denying loans.
Other SBA Express Loan Features:
- Revolving lines of credit can be set up for up to seven years.
- Interest rates are negotiated between borrowers and lenders.
- Interest rates can be fixed or variable, but can’t exceed the SBA’s guidelines.
- Lenders may require collateral.
The Pros of SBA Express Loans
An SBA Express Loan will provide your business with additional working capital. This capital, in turn, can be used to buy equipment and materials, hire staff, and grow your business.
Other SBA Express Loan Benefits:
- Interest rates are relatively low for a business loan.
- Long repayment terms are available.
- Down payments are affordable.
- Excellent for building business credit.
- Quick approval, especially in comparison to other SBA loans.
The SBA will guarantee up to 50 percent of the SBA Express Loan. For lenders, this lowers risks substantially. Lenders can pass on these lower risks to borrowers, resulting in the above benefits.
The Cons of an SBA Express Loan
While SBA Express Loans are a great resource for small businesses, there are some drawbacks. One disadvantage is the high credit score requirement. Further, if you should default on an SBA loan, you may be barred from accessing government resources, such as other SBA loans, in the future.
Other SBA Express Loan Cons:
- The application process requires extensive paperwork.
- Paperwork and application procedures will vary from bank to bank.
- The wait time is still quite lengthy compared to other non-SBA lending options.
- There are some restrictions on how the money is spent.
SBA Express Loans are a great option for small businesses. They offer fair repayment terms, and funds are distributed quickly. There are also drawbacks, including strict eligibility requirements and an intensive application process.
Either way, SBA loans are far from the only option available. Even if your business is struggling to secure funding from traditional banks, you have other options, such as a merchant cash advance or a business loan from a non-traditional lender.
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.