5 ways to celebrate National Women's Small Business Month
In this post, we’ll share five ways that you can network with other women in small business, expand your skills and benefit your business’s future.
1. Get involved – By joining a professional group, you’ll meet women business owners who share your passion. Check out organizations such as your local National Association of Women Business Owners chapter, American Business Women’s Association or Catalyst, to name a few. These organizations will provide you with invaluable networking opportunities, in addition to discounts and access to events and other prospects.
2. Be a mentor, or find one – Networking is pivotal for business owners. Regardless of where you’re at in your career, finding a mentor will help you learn more about your industry, and give you someone to approach for advice. As we mentioned above, joining a professional organization is a great way to go about this; you will likely be able to connect with potential mentors in these groups. Plus, don’t forget to reach out to existing connections! Having a pre-established relationship with someone could make them an ideal mentor.
In addition to finding a mentor, give back to young women who are looking to start their careers in business. You could mentor an individual by helping them as they start their business, or make other major career decisions. Also, don’t turn down the opportunity to speak at a local college or event! This will allow you to give back to your community; plus you may even be able to find future employees or interns!
3. Hone your skills – Personal development should be a top priority! Consider areas of your small business that could be improved, and the skills that you’ll need to make these updates happen. Maybe you want to foster team unity, and could work on your leadership abilities. Perhaps you’re interested in boosting your business’s marketing efforts; you could sign up for HubSpot’s free Inbound Marketing Certification, to learn more about using marketing to generate sales. Whatever your goals are, you’ll always benefit from investing in yourself!
4. Read up – It might be time for a trip to the bookstore! Expand your small business knowledge by reading content from fellow women business owners. Their expertise will likely inspire you to try new things, give you advice on business-related topics and much more.
5. Share your story – Spread the word about your business! Be proud of your company and how you got there; and share it with other women in small business. Explaining your passion for small business will help you network, advertise your brand and establish yourself as an influencer in your field. Publish a bio about yourself on your business website, participate in a business-related panel at an event or take other opportunities to talk about yourself. Don’t be shy, it will bring value to your business in the long-run.
Since October is National Women’s Small Business Month, take time to reflect on your journey as a small business owner. Fora Financial loves hearing from up and coming business owners, so if you have a story to share let us know!