How to Ship Your Business’s Products (And Earn Repeat Customers)
In this post, we’ll review the five ways that your new business can handle packaging and shipping products professionally, aesthetically, and effectively!
5 Tips for Shipping Your Business’s Products
1. Select A Shipping Company
To ensure your products are delivered to your customers on-time and in good condition, it’s important to select a reputable shipping company. When choosing the right shipping company, consider the following factors:
- Availability: How many orders can they accommodate at one time?
- Insurance options. Do they provide added security that will ensure that packages are delivered safely and on-time?
- Overall cost: Make sure that you can afford the shipping company’s fees.
- Technology: You should find out if the company offers their customers technology, such as the ability to track packages in real-time.
- Reputation: Check out the company’s online reviews on sites such as Trustpilot, Yelp and Google My Business.
- Serviced Areas: When interviewing vendors, find out if they ship within the U.S., or if they also provide their services to other countries.
2. Choose Shipping Boxes
As a small business owner, you should avoid wasting time or money on items you don’t need, such as extra packing materials that can be consolidated. Luckily, you can save money in this area by choosing small boxes for your products. Keep in mind, however, that you should save some room inside the boxes for the proper packaging materials to keep your products safe while they are in transit.
In addition, unless your customer has put a rush on the order, don’t spend more money than you need to on shipping. Most shipping companies will allow you to select the most affordable option when sending your products to specific areas.
3. Offer Specialty Boxes
As a small business, you should try to cut costs at every opportunity. However, when sending products to your customers, it’s worth a little extra money to make it a memorable experience. There are numerous ways that you can create a well-branded experience for your customers; for instance, you can make sure that the packaging details reflect your business’s logo and colors.
There are many companies that you can work with to create specialty boxes for your products. Specialty services for boxes should include:
- Premium branded packaging
- Customized poly mailers
- The ability to upload your logo/design
- Personalized packaging tape
4. Consider the Importance of Branded Packaging
To make your brand sustainable and earn repeat customers, you need to take your branding seriously. Any successful business owner will tell you that it’s cheaper to get your current customers to come back for more compared to how much it costs to find new patrons. That’s why branding is key!
Recent studies prove that customers love receiving a product with thoughtful packaging. For many, it’s an important factor that can determine if they make another purchase in the future. Packaging matters because…
- 51 percent of shoppers agree that custom packaging makes the products itself feel more valuable.
- 44 percent say that they would make a repeat purchase because of custom packaging.
- 37 percent have shared an image of custom packaging on social media.
As you can see, by investing in your shipping presentation, you could grow you customer base and earn repeat shoppers. Below, you’ll find a list of branded elements that you should include in your business’s packaging.
- Boxing – As previously stated, you can find many companies that can help you design a box that reflects your company’s brand.
- Filler – Inside the box, consider including items such as colorful tissue paper, stickers, coupon codes, and a thank-you note telling the customer that you appreciate their purchase. By adding these components, your customers will likely take notice and want to shop at your business again.
- Freebies – To increase customer satisfaction, include a small gift when you ship customers’ packages. This could be a sample of another item you offer, or something that features your business’s name (like a key-chain). It’s an easy way to delight them and improve their overall experience.
5. Stay Organized
Time management is necessary to running a successful business. If you’re committed to efficiently shipping items, you should consider a detailed database of customer’s information to help stay organized. A proper database should include outstanding orders, reports, customer information, a list of available inventory, and shipping statuses.
In addition, there are many tools that can make shipping easier, such as a thermal label printer. This product will quickly and efficiently print out shipping labels so that you don’t have to write labels by hand. Not only will this save time and money, but your labels will look more professional and will likely adhere to your packages better. You could even customize them by adding logos, marketing messages, or discount codes.
Another potential investment to consider is a shipping station, which can ensure that your overall shipping process is organized. Store your business cards, inserts, blank labels, paper, and other materials for shipping in one place, so that you don’t have to waste time trying to find these items when you need to get orders out. Plus, as your business grows, you can adjust your shipping station so that it fits your business’s changing needs.
As you can see, there are numerous methods that you can try to make shipping more cost-efficient. Plus, by investing in branded, professional materials, you can stand out from your competitors and form lasting customer relationships.
Do you have any tips and tricks when it comes to shipping your business’s products? Share them with us in the comment section below!
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.