5 reasons to utilize your local chamber of commerce
Did you know that today is Support your Local Chamber of Commerce Day? As a small business owner, joining your local chamber of commerce can provide you with numerous networking and educational opportunities.
By being a member, you’ll be able to contribute your ideas, and have a say in issues that matter to small business owners. If you’re not an existing member, here are a few reasons to join your local chapter, and if you are already a member, here are a few ways to make the most of your membership.
1. Have your voice be heard – The purpose of chambers of commerce is to represent the business community and their needs. As a small business owner, it is likely that you have a perspective on the issues in your community that affect businesses. By joining your local chamber of commerce, you’ll be able to contribute to pivotal decisions that matter to you as a business owner – which is something you shouldn’t take lightly!
2. Meet other business owners in your area – Having a chamber of commerce membership will allow you to form relationships with other business owners in your area. Attend business networking events, so that you can meet fellow members and learn about their businesses. You’ll be able to bond over shared interests, and may even be able to collaborate in the future!
3. Get involved – Joining your local chamber of commerce means getting to participate in events, attend meetings and help make decisions on issues that are pertinent to the small businesses in your community. If you want to exude your leadership skills, you could apply to be on your chapter’s board, or oversee a committee. There are so many ways to contribute and take advantage of your chamber of commerce membership.
4. Get great perks – In addition to networking and advancement prospects, sometimes being a member can get you some sweet deals! Many chapters offer discounts on advertising, office supplies, storage and other necessary services you need for your business. In addition to discounts, you could also get access to events, educational seminars and other incentives.
5. Give back to the community – Many chamber of commerce chapters offer volunteer opportunities that will allow you to get involved in your community! Many chambers of commerce hold chapter-wide fundraisers, or do volunteer work together for local charities. In addition, you may be able to participate in a mentorship program, where you advise a younger entrepreneur.
Now that you’ve learned about why you should consider joining your local chamber of commerce, it’s time to apply! Most organizations have different levels of memberships, so make sure that you research your local chamber of commerce’s options, and choose one that is right for you. If you’re already a member, let us know in the comment section below what you love most about your local chamber of commerce.